Monday, December 1, 2008

Welcome to the Forest

Some of you may know, but some of you may not know. I, Ruthie, was born and raised in a forest. This forest to be more specific.

No I was not actually delivered in said forest, but I was brought home from the hospital to this quiet, well secluded region of the Northwest and lived there until the tender, naive age of 18.

Last week I had the opportunity to go home for Thanksgiving and decided to try and capture a bit of my home to share with friends. Now you may start to understand when I say "I grew up in a forest."

The house I grew up in and the very green front yard


My backyard


More backyard (Mt. Hood in the distance)


Front yard, and the trees I used to pretend were the front door to my house, where I would make mudpies.

Tree swings, my cousins and I did "tricks" on. We also spun each other up really high and tried not to get sick or their really long hair caught in the ropes.
(I did not have really long hair but that subject will not be discussed any further)

I also grew up along side Christmas trees.
It still pains me slightly to see fake Christmas trees.
My dad also says it's like taking food food out of his mouth.



I don't know if you knew, but Oregon is always wet. Including the spider webs.

This little guy must love rain.


Does your dad light a soaking wet brush pile on fire on
Thanksgiving morning and get the flames this big?


We lovingly call this area of the property "Fairyland"
I think the picture explains it all.


View from the Christmas tree field.


My grandfather's barn and authentic farm equipment.

There it is, my childhood playground. If you ever need a vacation where you don't ever have to see anyone, let me know. My parents are very hospitable. You could ride around on the tractor with my dad and eat really good food, made by my mom.



8 comments:

stephanielynn said...

It looks so peaceful! I like it!

The "D.C." O's said...

Ashlee, wow those pictures are fantastic! I almost cried when I bought our 3ft FAKE Christmas tree!!!

cynthia said...

What a great capturing of the "forest"! I had to chuckle over the hair being caught in the rope swing :)

Kirst said...

OH the good times in Oregon.

Cassidy and Nicole Anderson said...

our tree is real and was forty dollars!!!! Should have thrown one on top of your sisters car and brought one home for us! I would give you twenty for it!!!

Stacy said...

I'm homesick now! Those photos are fabulous...can I get a copy of them?

Elise said...

Oh, the homeland! Quite the opposite from the desert I grew up in. Forest, desert...both are beautiful in their own way. Glad you had a happy Thanksgiving.

Em said...

I love this!!! I want to reserve my visit right this second! It's so beautiful!

I think you need to expound the part about you not having long hair...you gave us a teaser, now let it all out!